Proper use of time during a study session
PRIOR TO STUDY SESSION:
- Read relevant text assignment or lecture notes
- Rework your notes by comparing with other's notes to maintain accuracy and completion
- Identify important concepts
- Determine your weaknesses and work on these.
DURING STUDY SESSION (total time about 20-25 minutes):
- Review old information up to this session. Do this by writing an essay or speaking out loud. (2-5 minutes).
- Rewrite, retell, teach, diagram or draw information about new information (15-20 minutes)
- Recap briefly all information combined. Start with previous old information and integrate new information. (2-5 minutes)
- Mandatory pause (5 minutes)
START OVER AGAIN, IF YOU HAVE TIME
- Plan to study for at least an hour a day
- Do several study sessions, during that hour.
on this image for an audio message on an effective study session
Work (not read) intensively, then take a break, then work again.
Professor Thomas M. Lancraft
Human Anatomy and Physiology Courses
at St. Petersburg College
St. Petersburg/Gibbs Campus