Kimberly Hartman, Dean, (727) 791-5890
The Bachelor of Science in Pre-kindergarten/Primary Education (PKPED-BS) prepares you to teach ages 3 through grade 3 and gives you an endorsement in ESOL (English to Speakers of Other Languages) and Reading.
Job Related Opportunities
The requirements shown below are valid beginning Spring 2015 (495), and may not reflect degree requirements for current students. Current students should visit My SPC and view My Learning Plan to see specific degree requirements for their effective term.
To be admitted to this 63-credit program, you need:
- An AA degree (or transcripts showing 60 credits from a regionally accredited school to include AA degree general education
- To have completed the state-mandated prerequisites with a grade of C or higher:
EDF 1005 Introduction to Education
EDF 2085 Teaching Diverse Populations
EME 2040 Introduction to Educational Technology
- A cumulative grade point average of 2.5 on a 4.00 scale in all college classes
- Passing scores from all sections of Florida's General Knowledge test (If the College-Level Academic Skills Test (CLAST) was taken before July 1, 2002, passing scores can also be used to meet this requirement.)
Questions regarding admissions, please consult with the Dean of College of Education.
Students who have questions concerning catalog year requirements should consult the appropriate SPC College catalog or an academic advisor. Students who have questions concerning state mandated prerequisites should consult www.facts.org
and review the appropriate common prerequisite manual or see an academic advisor.
A cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher is required for graduation; a grade of "C" or higher is required in all courses.
Six credits with an international or diversity focus. This requirement may have been satisfied in the first 60 semester hours.
This bachelor's degree program requires a minimum of two consecutive years of a foreign language in high school OR two semesters of a foreign language at the college level.
Completing all program requirements, including ESOL, demonstrating competency in the Florida Educator Accomplished Practices (FEAPS) at the pre-professional level, passing all sections of the Florida Teacher Certification Examination (FTCE), and passing the final internship are conditions of graduation.
STATE MANDATED PREREQUISITES
GENERAL EDUCATION REQUIREMENT
AA Degree (Complete 60 credits)
MAJOR CORE COURSES
Major Requirements (Complete 57 Credits)
MAJOR CORE COURSES
ESOL Requirements (Complete 6 Credits)
* Field Experiences: require 225 clinical clock hours plus a 15-week internship.