Dental Hygiene A.S. Degree prepares you to join a growing profession
With SPC's Dental Hygiene A.S. Degree, you gain the technical expertise to excel in this growing field. Our program has been educating students for 50 years and has excellent job placements rates. As part of the program, students work in our dental clinic, which provides dental hygiene services (cleanings and x-rays) to more than 2,500 patients a year.
- Graduates of this program are prepared to take the national board and state licensing exams.
- Provides lecture and clinical lab classes as part of your learning experience
- Prepares you to enter your career
- Is accredited by the American Dental Association's Commission on Dental Accreditation
- Allows you to participate throughout the program as a patient subject
- Estimated costs for the dental hygiene A.S. program
- Technical Standards
- Program Admission Guide
- Students accepted into the program will be required to successfully pass a background check and drug screening.
Mary R. Grizzle Dental Hygiene Program
This program is named in honor of the late State Senator Mary R. Grizzle in appreciation for her many efforts on behalf of St. Petersburg College.
Continue Your Education at SPC
All A.S. Dental Hygiene courses at SPC transfer for credit towards bachelor's degrees at SPC. Due to the cohort structure and the sequencing of courses in Dental Hygiene programs, students who are unable to complete the entire A.S. Dental Hygiene program at SPC need to contact the desired transfer institution to determine admission and program requirements, including transferability of previously completed coursework.
To become a dental hygienist in Florida, you must meet the requirements of the Florida Board of Dentistry and pass the National Dental Hygiene Board examination and state clinical examination to receive your license.
- Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Handbook, Dental Hygienists (national)
- Career One Stop Occupation Profile, Dental Hygienists (Florida)
Research linking oral health and overall physical health continues to increase the demand for preventive dental care.
Graduates of our programs work in dental offices, public health clinics, hospitals, nursing homes and managed care facilities.
Skills You Will Gain
- Proper treatment, care and dental hygiene techniques
- Patient education about oral health and diet
- Management of patient records and treatment plans
- Industry standards and safety regulations
SPC's A.S. degree in Dental Hygiene is accredited by the American Dental Association's Commission on Dental Accreditation and has been granted the accreditation status of approval without reporting requirements. The Commission is a specialized accrediting body recognized by the United States Department of Education. The Commission on Dental Accreditation can be contacted at (312) 440-4653 or at 211 East Chicago Avenue, Chicago IL 60611.