SPC's Physical Therapist Assistant A.S. Degree prepares you for a new health career
Ready to start a new, hands-on career as a Physical Therapist Assistant? SPC's Physical Therapist Assistant A.S. Degree will prepare you to pass the national licensing exam through the Federation of State Boards of Physical Therapy.
- Provides lecture and clinical lab classes as part of your learning experience
- Prepares you for quick entry into your career
- Is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education of the American Physical Therapy Association
- Puts you in a health care setting under the close supervision of a physical therapist or physical therapist assistant for clinical courses
Continuing Your Education
This Physical Therapist Assistant A.S. Degree transfers to our Health Services Administration B.A.S. degree.
- Assisted living facilities
- General and rehabilitation hospitals
- Higher education centers
- Home health agencies
- Orthopedic/sports rehabilitation clinics
- Pediatric health centers
- Public schools
- Rehabilitation equipment companies
- Skilled nursing facilities
What You Will Learn
- Diseases and problems commonly treated in physical therapy
- The basics of therapies used, including therapeutic exercise, functional training and soft tissue massage
- Legal and ethical responsibilities
- Industry standards and safety regulations
What You Need to Know
- Program Admission Guide
- Technical Standards
- Students accepted into the program will be required to successfully pass a background check and drug screening.
- Liability and clinical accidental insurance must be obtained through the college for a fee.
- Students admitted to this program must have a physical examination by a licensed physician or an advanced RN practitioner verifying satisfactory health status and a dental examination verifying oral health status prior to entrance into the first session of the program. This must include all immunizations, tests, and health verifications tests, and health verifications as specified within contractual agreements with affiliating agencies. This may be required on an annual basis at the discretion of the program director.
- Program requirements are subject to change. Students should check with a counselor, advisor or the program director.
- Students transferring from another Physical Therapist Assistant or other health-related program must be in good standing in such program. Exceptions will be handled by the Provost's Office at the Health Education Center.
- Complaints generated from the community that fall outside of the college's due process may be reported to either PTA Program Director Dr. Kory Thomas, PT, DPT or Dean of Health Programs Dr. Richard Flora.
- American Physical Therapy Association
- Florida Physical Therapy Association
- Florida Board of Physical Therapy Practice
- Federation of State Boards of Physical Therapy
- Graduation rate of last two graduating classes: 72.25% (2016-2017)
- Graduation rate for 2014-15 graduating classes: 78.5%
- Graduation rates are calculated by the program based on the percentage of students who matriculated in the first technical course in the program after the add/drop period and who completed the program.
- Performance on licensure exam: Overall passing rate of last two graduating classes: 98% (2016-2017)
- Overall passing rate for 2014-15 graduating classes: 100%
- Licensure examination pass rates are based on results received from the Federation of State Boards of Physical Therapy (FSBPT).
- Employment rate of last two graduating classes: Data for 2017 is not yet available. 2016: 96.29%
- Employment rate for 2014-15 graduating classes: 100%
- Employment rates are based on self-reported data received from graduates, as well as supplemental data gathered by the program staff.
The Physical Therapist Assistant Program at St. Petersburg College is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy education (CAPTE), 1111 North Fairfax Street, Alexandria, Virginia 22314; telephone: 703-706-3245; email: email@example.com; website: www.capteonline.org