Explore our Respiratory Care A.S. Degree
Respiratory care therapists are vital members of medical teams and serve as life-support specialists for a broad range of patients - from infants to the elderly. Our program has an excellent reputation in the community and produces highly qualified graduates.
- St. Petersburg College's Respiratory Care A.S. Degree prepares you for the advanced practitioners' exam to become a Registered Respiratory Therapist through the National Board for Respiratory Care
- Provides lecture and hands-on clinical classes as part of your learning experience
- Takes two years to complete
- Provides the opportunity for certified respiratory therapists and paramedics transitioning to the Respiratory Care program to possibly qualify for credits through the Experiential Learning Process (ELP)
- Transfers to our Health Services Administration B.A.S. Degree
- The St. Petersburg College Respiratory Care program, CoARC program ID number 200145, AS degree, Health Education Center is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care (www.coarc.com), 1248 Harwood Road, Bedford Texas 76021-4244 (817)283-2835.
Continuing Your Education
Our Respiratory Care A.S. Degree transfers to the first and only online bachelor's degree in Health Services Administration with a concentration in Respiratory Care in Florida for current Registered Respiratory Therapists.
- Hospitals, including adult and neonatal intensive care
- Emergency rooms
- Pulmonary rehabilitation and home care
- Diagnostic testing centers
- Physician offices
What You Will Learn
- Proper techniques and principles of respiratory care
- Industry standards and safety regulations
- Legal and ethical responsibilities
The St. Petersburg College Respiratory Care Program is dedicated to the philosophy and goals of the college. The program is designed to offer the student planned learning experiences and to provide knowledge, skills, and promote attitudes that will culminate in successful employment of the graduate as a respiratory therapist.
In addition, the program is designed to prepare graduates with demonstrated competence in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills) and affective (behavior) learning domains of respiratory care practice as performed by registered respiratory therapists (RRTs).
- Program Admission Guide
- Essential Student Functions
- Students accepted into the program will be required to successfully pass a background check and drug screening.
- SPC's Respiratory Care program has been producing highly qualified RRTs since 1971. The on-site simulation hospital on the HEC campus helps students feel comfortable practicing skills in a controlled setting.
- Our graduates score significantly higher than the national average on exams and almost all graduates and their employers say they are very satisfied with the program.
- Our program meets the needs of students of all ages and schedules, including working students. Recent graduates include a 20-year-old and a 65-year-old.
- You can receive your A.S degree in Respiratory Care and become an RRT in 24 months without leaving the area.
- Financial aid is available.
- Our program has an excellent reputation in the community.
Programmatic outcomes are performance indicators that reflect the extent to which the goals of the program are achieved and by which program effectiveness is documented. Review and compare our program outcomes for graduates through the Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care.
Programmatic outcomes data reported on the CoARC website include:
- 3-year time period being reported;
- CRT credentialing success;
- RRT credentialing success;
- Achievement of the high cut score on the TMC Exam (beginning 2018);
- Retention (Attrition);
- Job placement;
- Overall Graduate Satisfaction;
- Overall Employer Satisfaction;
- On-time Graduation Rate;
- Total number of program enrollees;
- Total number of program graduates;
- Maximum Annual Enrollment
Program Key Personnel
- Anthony Ottaviani, D.O., Medical Director
- Steve Hardt, MA, RRT, Program Director
- Daniel Craddock, MEd, RRT, Clinical Director
The St. Petersburg College Respiratory Care program, CoARC program ID number 200145, AS degree, Health Education Center is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care (www.coarc.com), 1248 Harwood Road, Bedford Texas 76021-4244 (817)283-2835.