Federal Direct Stafford Loans, from the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Program, are low-interest loans for eligible students to help cover the cost of higher education.
Federal Direct Subsidized Stafford Loans are offered to students with financial need.
- You are not charged interest while you're in school at least half-time, during grace periods, or deferment periods
- If you receive a Federal Direct Subsidized Stafford Loan that is first disbursed between July 1, 2012 and July 1, 2014, you will be responsible for paying any interest that accrues during your grace period
- If you choose not to pay the interest that accrues during your grace period, the interest will be added to your principal balance
Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loans are NOT based on financial need.
- Interest is charged from the time the loan is disbursed until it is paid in full
- You can pay the interest while you are in school and during grace periods and deferment or forbearance periods, or you can allow it to accrue and be capitalized (added to the principal amount of your loan)
- If you choose not to pay the interest as it accrues, this will increase the total amount you have to repay because you will be charged interest on a higher principal amount
Loan eligibility is determined by completing the FAFSA.
If you attend less than full-time during any term, your Cost of Attendance and financial aid award amounts will be adjusted. This could result in reduction or removal of loans or other financial aid.
Loan limits are determined by grade level and prior borrowed amounts.
There is a small loan fee charged prior to funds being received at SPC.
Interest is charged on Stafford loans.
Students who will be graduating at the end of fall term will have their Federal Direct Stafford and Federal Direct PLUS loan amounts adjusted based on enrollment during the fall term.
Before your loan money is disbursed, you may cancel all or part of your loan at any time. After your loan is disbursed, you may cancel all or part of the loan within 14 days of receiving the loan.
Use this printable document to help you understand the Federal Direct Stafford Loan terms and application process.