verification banner


ImportantNew! 2015-16 Verification requirements
If your 2015-16 FAFSA application is selected for Verification, make sure you understand what documents and whose information you need to submit. Not all applicants will be asked to submit the same documents. Always check your MySPC To Do List.

The Department of Education has regulations to ensure that only eligible students receive financial aid. Verification is the process used to confirm information you provided on the FAFSA.

If you are a dependent student and both biological and/or adoptive parents reside in the same household, you will need to provide both parent's information regardless of their marital status or gender.

If you are an independent student and your marital status on the date the FAFSA was completed was "married," you will need to provide your spouse's information regardless of gender.

A student/parent is considered "married" if the student/parent was legally married in any domestic or foreign jurisdiction that recognizes that relationship as a legal marriage, regardless of where the couple resides. This determination applies to same sex or opposite sex couples. This determination does not apply to domestic partnership, civil unions, or similar formal relationships recognized under state law.

What documents do I need to submit? 

If your Student Aid Report (SAR) has been selected for Verification, SPC will send a written request for documentation by mail and SPC student email. In addition, your MySPC To Do List will list any required documents. Not all applicants will be asked to submit the same documents. You may be asked to provide different documents than you have submitted in previous years.

Verification documents may include IRS Tax Transcripts, a completed Verification Worksheet, or other documents. In some circumstances, you may go back to your FAFSA application and use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to download your income information. If you are unable to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, submit an IRS Tax Transcript. You may no longer submit copies of tax returns (IRS 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ), with the exception of tax returns from Puerto Rico or foreign income tax returns.

How do I submit the requested documents? 

Please submit all documents with your Student Name and Student ID written clearly at the top of each page. Do not submit original documents unless you are told to do so. Make copies of what you submit. To submit Verification documents, you may bring them into Registration, fax them to 727-791-2495, or e-mail them to

Financial aid awards 

Your file will not be complete until all requested documents are received and processed by Financial Assistance Services. The verification process may delay the awarding of financial assistance if corrections need to be submitted to the federal processor.

Verification questions? 

If you have questions, visit Registration on your campus or call 727-791-2485.