Succeed With Brother to Brother
The mission of the Brother to Brother program is to provide a highly focused and integrated model of academic, social, career and co-curricular resources that aim to increase the retention, progression and graduation rates of young men at SPC. This program provides a wraparound system of support through various resources, mentoring and forms of engagement that encourage academic achievement, and promote personal and professional development.
Brother to Brother seeks to supply intentional and direct resources to male students that are intended to provide additional layers of academic, professional and social support. We aspire to set the standard for male students at SPC recognized for academic achievement, co-curricular involvement and a commitment to service.
Message from Aaron S. Keith, M.Ed., Director of Brother to Brother
Welcome to the St. Petersburg College Brother to Brother program. You are joining a dynamic and comprehensive Male Initiative Program, dedicated to academic excellence, social responsibility, professional development, and civic engagement. I trust each of you will continue to demonstrate high standards and dedication to your academics, personal development and social involvement at SPC.
It is our goal to prepare young men for success to and through their college graduation, transfer, and/or entrance into the workforce. In response to that, it is imperative that we cater to the unique needs of the male population through intrusive advising, academic coaching, mentoring, and programming to enrich their experiences outside the classroom. We are intentional in our internal and external partnerships as we’re dedicated to serving young men and assisting them in achieving their academic, personal and professional goals.
Once again, welcome to Brother to Brother. We are truly excited that you are interested in becoming a member, and we will assist you in making your time at SPC as productive, transformative, and as rewarding as possible.
Core Areas of Focus
- Academic engagement
- Co-curricular involvement
- Personal and professional development
- Welcome and orientation program with letters
- Bi-weekly, one-on-one meetings
- Bi-weekly grade reports and/or tutoring center log
- Bi-weekly general body meetings
- Study hall, student support, community service, barbershop talk series
- Academic skills enrichment programs (writing workshops, resume building classes, study skills)
- Men of Color networking night
- Service, learning and alternative break trips
- Career expos and leadership workshops
- Mentoring matters end-of-year banquet and reception
- Networking and mentoring opportunities
- Branding materials and academic recognition
- Program specific workshops
- Textbook assistance
- Internship and job training opportunities
- Educational and social outings
- Academic tutoring and study hall
- Study abroad and alternative break opportunities
Requirements for Membership
- Male SPC student
- Complete online application
- Participate in all Brother to Brother meetings and programs
The SPC Brother to Brother program is partnering with Knack to help strengthen the peer learning community!
As a member of Brother to Brother, you can use Knack to get help from a fellow peer that already aced your class; or sign up as a peer tutor and get paid to help your fellow students in courses you’ve aced.
Get started with peer tutoring and sign up with Knack today.