Succeed With Brother to Brother
The mission of the Brother to Brother program is to provide a highly focused and integrated model of academic, social, career and co-curricular resources that aim to increase the retention, progression and graduation rates of young men at SPC. This program provides a wraparound system of support through various resources, mentoring and forms of engagement that encourage academic achievement, and promote personal and professional development.
Brother to Brother seeks to supply intentional and direct resources to male students that are intended to provide additional layers of academic, professional and social support. We aspire to set the standard for male students at SPC recognized for academic achievement, co-curricular involvement and a commitment to service.
St. Petersburg College’s Brother to Brother program welcomes its partnership with the Community Foundation Tampa Bay and Helios Education Foundation to offer additional services in support of the Florida African American Male Experience (FAAME). The initiative aims to empower African American male students in their journey to postsecondary degree completion.
These services include but are not limited to:
- Intensive wraparound, out-of-class services for the FAAME cohort including one-on-one tutoring, mentorship and academic advising support
- Increased financial support with the goal of our male students graduating with a four-year baccalaureate degree and zero or reduced student loan debt
- A fast-tracked pathway that removes barriers to success for students as they graduate from high school and work toward earning their bachelor’s degree
FAAME is an expansion of the Helios-SPC Titan Achievement Program (H-TAP) grant, awarded to SPC in 2020 to assess the educational pathways of African American males in Pinellas County.
Message from Antonio Seay
Welcome to St. Petersburg College and the Brother to Brother program. We are excited to have the opportunity to partner with you on your educational journey. The goal of our program is to assist you with achieving academic excellence, becoming aware of our social responsibility, and becoming active in civic engagement.
Therefore, if you have thought about pursuing higher education, give us a call. If you have started and need assistance in finishing, give us a call. Let us work together in your professional development and the earning of your degree.
Once again, we welcome you to the Brother to Brother program and Titan country.
Antonio Seay, M.B.A.
- Networking and mentoring opportunities
- Branding materials and academic recognition
- Program specific workshops
- Textbook assistance
- Internship and job training opportunities
- Educational and social outings
- Academic tutoring and study hall
- Study abroad and alternative break opportunities
Core Areas of Focus
- Academic engagement
- Co-curricular involvement
- Personal and professional development
- Welcome and orientation program with letters
- Bi-weekly, one-on-one meetings
- Bi-weekly grade reports and/or tutoring center log
- Bi-weekly general body meetings
- Study hall, student support, community service, barbershop talk series
- Academic skills enrichment programs (writing workshops, resume building classes, study skills)
- Men of Color networking night
- Service, learning and alternative break trips
- Career expos and leadership workshops
- Mentoring matters end-of-year banquet and reception
Requirements for Membership
- Male SPC student
- Complete online application
- Participate in all Brother to Brother meetings and programs
The SPC Brother to Brother program is partnering with Knack to help strengthen the peer learning community!
As a member of Brother to Brother, you can use Knack to get help from a fellow peer that already aced your class; or sign up as a peer tutor and get paid to help your fellow students in courses you’ve aced.
Get started with peer tutoring and sign up with Knack today.