Ethics Institute sponsors community programs
The goal of the Applied Ethics Institute is to promote ethics education and ethical awareness in the Tampa Bay region. We prepare students for responsible and ethical citizenship and informed and active participation in our community and local professional arena.
The Institute serves as a community resource through seminars, lectures, ethics training and continuing education programs to meet specific needs, and extends its influence to the global community through the Internet and online instruction.
Through partnerships with community organizations, faculty and students are involved in activities designed to elevate the awareness of ethical issues locally:
- Speakers Bureau -Our 12 full-time professors are available to speak to your organization about a range of topics that will help your members consider, "What would I do?" Our Speakers Bureau can schedule a speaker for your members on a variety of topics like personal ethics, bioethics, business ethics, virtue ethics, Socrates and the ancients, critical thinking and more.
- Partnerships with Pinellas County Schools to promote K-12 ethics and character education
- Partnerships with local non-profits to promote community-based ethics programs
There is never a charge for our speakers nor will they sell anything or solicit donations. To schedule a speaker for your organization, please call us at 727-341-4335.
Applied Ethics for professionals
The Applied Ethics Program at St. Petersburg College was created in 1985 and has grown into a nationally recognized leader in community college ethics education. All SPC students are required to take an ethics class that provides a balanced overview of philosophical foundations, social issues and ethical concerns relevant to business and professional life. Courses offered by the Applied Ethics Program at St. Petersburg College include:
- Ethics for Educators, a statewide online course for Florida K-12 teachers
- Ethics in Popular Culture and Entertainment
- Honors Studies in Applied Ethics
- Studies in Applied Ethics (choose one of four topics including Healthcare, Professional, Public Safety or General)
- Critical Thinking and Decision Making
Applied Ethics Institute sponsors student involvement in service organizations throughout Pinellas County. Thousands of volunteer hours have been donated to dozens of groups, including:
- All Children's Hospital
- The Arts Center
- Big Brothers Big Sisters
- The Center for Women
- Children's Home Society
- Friends of Strays
- Habitat for Humanity
- Hospice of the Florida Suncoast
- Keep Pinellas Beautiful
- Stavros Institute
- Suncoast Seabird Sanctuary
- Trinity Cafe
Keith Goree Applied Ethics Lecture Series
The Keith Goree Applied Ethics Lecture Series is designed to provide thought-provoking presentations on ethics issues important to the St. Petersburg College community. The Keith Goree Lecture Series is named for the former Director of the Applied Ethics Institute who died in 2009. He taught ethics at St. Petersburg College for more than 20 years, co-authoring the ethics textbook which has been used by more than 100,000 students at six universities. Learn more about Keith Goree.
Awards and Honors
The Applied Ethics program and faculty members have received numerous awards including:
- 2010 Service Group of the Year, Clearwater Department of Parks and Recreation
- 2005 Faculty Member Award from the Association of Community College Trustees
- The Florida Bellwether Prize for innovative programs
- 1999 Carol Burnett Prize for contributions to ethics in journalism (SPC won second place for this award in 2002)
- Recognized by the National Institute for Staff and Organizational Development (NISOD)
- Recognized by the John S. Templeton Foundation