Our mission is to provide and ensure responsive and accurate legal services in an ethical and timely manner that enables St. Petersburg College to achieve its vision and goals.
The Office of the General Counsel oversees the legal affairs of the college, managing external litigation and representing the college in various administrative forums. In addition, our office:
- Provides legal advice to the Board of Trustees, president and senior administrators
- Represents the college and Board of Trustees in legal forums
- Manages the administration of contracts and other binding agreements
- Facilitates and promotes institutional compliance
- Oversees policy development and administrative rulemaking pursuant to state law
- Receives and responds to legal requests, subpoenas and court orders
This office handles the management of outside counsel who may be retained to assist with particular matters requiring specialized expertise. College staff should not contact outside counsel concerning college business without prior consultation with the Office of General Counsel. All communications from outside attorneys should be referred to the General Counsel.
In most cases, our office does not represent individual students, faculty or staff. Employees and students should consult a personal attorney for legal advice. No information in this website may be construed or relied upon as legal advice. Email communications to our office may not be confidential as Florida law considers them public records.
The Office of the General Counsel provides a variety of legal services including:
- Providing counsel to the Board of Trustees and college administrators on legal matters and governance
- Development and adoption of provisions of the Board of Trustees' Rules and the Procedures Manual through the state rulemaking process
- Managing the administration of contracts and the negotiation and review of binding agreements, contracts and memorandum of understanding
- Provide legal advice to the college's Human Resources Department on employee and personnel-related matters
- Coordinating responses to legal requests including subpoenas and court orders
- Providing guidance in responding to public records requests
- Providing advice and guidance to the college's Emergency Management Council
- Educating staff and faculty on common legal issues pertaining to higher education
- Overseeing efforts of the Equal Access/Equal Opportunity Office in regard to policies related to discrimination and sexual harassment
- Providing legal counsel to the college's Compliance Office and institutional research committee to ensure the protection of institutional research product and the interests of students participating in institutional research involving human subjects
The Office of the General Counsel oversees the drafting and review of college contracts and other legally binding agreements as well as instruments related to construction, real property, acquisitions, sales and leases.
Generally, any agreement that requires the signature of the college and binds the institution to specific terms and conditions would require a review of contractual language by the General Counsel's Office. To facilitate this review please submit the Request for Contract (RFC) form, linked below, to this office and include the approval of your supervisor and other approvers as may be necessary.
The exception would be the use of the College's Standard Contact forms. These fillable Standard Contracts may be approved and executed by an authorized administrator when there are no are substantive revisions or additional terms to the standard form.
Consent and Release Forms
- Threat Assessment Report (LE 429)
- Request for Contract Form (LE 432)
- Copyright Patient Royalty Agreement (LE 410)
Rule and Procedure Change Information
Request for Public Records
Public records requests may be made in person, in writing, or by phone.