No more faxing or waiting in line. Submit your residency documents here and make sure you include your name and student ID number.
At least two of the following documents must be submitted that are dated, issued or filed 12 months before the first day of classes and be currently valid for the 12 consecutive months prior to enrollment. At least one of the documents must be from the First Tier. As some evidence is more persuasive than others, more than two may be requested. No single piece of documentation will be considered conclusive. Additionally, there must be an absence of information that contradicts the applicant’s claim of residency.
The burden of providing clear and convincing proof rests with the student, or if the student is a dependent, with his or her parent or guardian. For documents to be clear and convincing it must be credible, trustworthy and sufficient to persuade the institution that residency in Florida is not solely for pursuing an education and that residency in any other states has been relinquished.
All documentation submitted is subject to review and verification.
First Tier documents
At least one of the two documents submitted must be from this list
- A Florida voter’s registration card
- A Florida driver’s license or Florida identification card
- A Florida vehicle registration
- Proof of a permanent home in Florida which is occupied as a primary residence by the individual or by the individual’s parent if the individual is a dependent child.
- Proof of a homestead exemption in Florida.
- Transcripts from a Florida high school for multiple years (if Florida high school diploma or GED was earned within last 12 months)
- Proof of permanent full-time employment in Florida for at least 30 hours per week for the most recent and consecutive 12-month period
Second Tier documents
Documents from this list may be used in conjunction with documents from First Tier and only if there is a valid document from the First Tier category.
- A Declaration of Domicile in Florida (12 months from the date the document was sworn and subscribed as noted by the Clerk of Court)
- A Florida professional or occupational license
- A Florida corporation as evidenced by Department of State filings
- Proof of membership in Florida-based charitable or professional organization that requires that the member reside in Florida as a condition of membership
- Benefit histories from Florida agencies or public assistance programs
- Any other documentation that supports the student’s request for resident status (may include utility bills in the name of the claimant and proof of 12 consecutive months of payments; a lease agreement in the name of the claimant and proof of 12 consecutive months of payments; or an official state, federal, or court document evidencing legal ties to Florida for the 12 consecutive months prior to enrollment.
The following items are not acceptable forms of documentation to establish that one has been living in Florida for 12 months:
- Birth certificate
- Social Security card
- Shopping club/rental cards
- W-2 form
- Tax return
- Bank statements
- Cell phone bills
- Hunting/fishing permit
- Concealed weapons permit
- Credit card bills
- Vessel, Boat, Dune buggy or other recreational vehicles
- Medical bills or doctor’s notes