Elevate your audio production and engineering skills
Our Audio Production and Engineering Certificate prepares you to shine in the music and entertainment field, specifically in audio production, audio engineering, and live sound. Your training at SPC includes courses in Apple Mac foundations, digital audio workstations, sound, acoustics, studio recording, critical listening, and live sound, and complete an internship in sound engineering.
Career opportunities in Audio Production and Engineering
- Live Sound Production Engineers
- Professional Digital Audio Workstation Operator
- Recording Studio Technician
This academic program prepares you for the following careers. All job data is provided by the U.S. Department of Labor.
Audio and Video Technicians
Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL Metro Area Average
Projected employment for Florida
Projected Job Openings
St. Petersburg College delivers a solid education in music industry recording arts through our expert faculty, top-notch facilities and industry partnerships.
Highest quality recording, mixing and production facilities
On our St. Petersburg/Gibbs Campus, you'll hone your craft in our fully loaded, multi-faceted audio production suites geared toward the aspiring music professional. All of our facilities are decked out with the latest technology and industry standard equipment and software so you can stay on top of your skills. Facilities include:
- Recording studios
- Mixing studios
- Radio broadcast center
- Production labs
- Dedicated rehearsal spaces
SPC's music industry recording arts program has built strong relationships with industry partners that connect manufacturers to students and faculty to provide:
- Essential software and hardware
- Testing ground for new products
- Internship opportunities
- Certification plans
- Cooperative training tracks
- Clearwater Jazz Holiday Educational Outreach
SPC'S Audio Production and Engineering Certificate teaches you
- How to set up and configure computers and software for audio applications
- How to navigate computer operating systems for use in professional audio production
- Fundamentals of melody, harmony, rhythm, and music notation
- How to evaluate room acoustics and optimize room design for audio production
- How to operate industry standard Digital Audio Workstations (DAWs)
- Studio recording techniques
- How to critically analyze all genres of produced music from song structure, to recording methods, to mix and mastering processes
- How to operate reproduction, reinforcement and recording audio equipment
- The requirements for setting up and operating a sound reinforcement system for live sound events
- How to complete transactions with music industry suppliers
Audio Production and Engineering Certificate with Financial Aid Eligibility
Effective Beginning Catalog Term: Fall 2021 (595)
The requirements shown below are valid beginning Fall 2021 (595), and may not reflect degree requirements for current students. Current students should visit My SPC and view My Learning Plan to see specific degree requirements for their effective term.
The Audio Production and Engineering Certificate prepares students for the workforce in the field of Audio Production, Audio Engineering, and Live Sound. It includes courses in Apple Mac Foundations, Digital Audio Workstations, Sound, Acoustics, Studio Recording, Critical Listening, Live Sound, and an internship experience. This program is 24 credits and is financial aid eligible. It functions as a standalone certificate leading to workforce opportunities, and it also functions as an achievement for those who continue on to complete the Music Industry/Recording Arts AS degree.
All program courses passed with C or higher.
- the recommended order in which to take the program courses
- suggested course when more than one option exists
- which semester each course is typically offered
- if the course has a prerequisite
- courses that may lead to a certificate (if offered in the program)
VIEW THE RECOMMENDED ACADEMIC PATHWAY
If you have already started the program,
VIEW THE ARCHIVED ACADEMIC PATHWAYS
Please verify the Academic Pathway lists your correct starting semester.
Florida CIP Code
0610020301 - Audio Electronics Specialist (CCC )
Federal CIP Code
10.0203 - Recording Arts Technology/Technician.
Continue your music production education
Our Audio Production and Engineering Certificate transfers to SPC's Music Industry Recording Arts (MIRA) A.S. Degree.