An Education Leader
St. Petersburg College is one of the first regionally accredited colleges in the U.S. to offer an associate in science degree and professional certificate program in Crime Scene Technology.
Start with your Crime Scene Technology Certificate
This certificate program trains you to become a Crime Scene Technician who can locate, identify, process and preserve a crime scene and testify in court. This certificate can be the first step in your education and career in Crime Scene Technology.
This academic program prepares you for the following careers. All job data is provided by the U.S. Department of Labor.
Forensic Science Technicians
Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL MSA Average
Projected employment for Florida
Projected Job Openings
what your learn in SPC's certificate and A.S. degree in Crime Scene Technology
- Search a crime scene and gather data
- Record a crime scene and related evidence
- Collect and develop evidence
- Preserve and develop fingerprints
- Map, measure and log the crime scene
- Secure a crime scene
- Present courtroom testimony
Crime Scene Technology Certificate with Financial Aid Eligibility
Effective Beginning Catalog Term: Fall 2014 (490)
The requirements shown below are valid beginning Fall 2014 (490), and may not reflect degree requirements for current students. Current students should visit My SPC and view My Learning Plan to see specific degree requirements for their effective term.
Program Leadership Information
Lead Instructor, AC
Crime Scene technologists are employed by local, state and federal law enforcement agencies, state attorney offices, public defender offices, medical examiners' offices, law firms and private industry.
The certificate program is designed to prepare a crime scene technician who will be able to locate, identify, process and preserve the crime scene. They will also testify in court as to their findings. These courses will apply toward the AS degree in Crime Scene Technology.
The Academic Pathway is a tool for students that lists the following items:
o the recommended order in which to take the program courses
o suggested course when more than one option exists
o which semester each course is typically offered
o if the course has a prerequisite
o courses that may lead to a certificate (if offered in the program)
If you are starting the program this term, click here to access the recommended Academic Pathway.
If you have already started the program, click here for the archived Academic Pathways.
Please verify the Academic Pathway lists your correct starting semester.
Florida CIP Code
Federal CIP Code
43.0106: Forensic Science and Technology.
Job Related Opportunities
- Crime Lab Assistant
- Crime Scene Photographer
- Crime Scene Technician
- Crime Scene Unit Supervisor
- Fingerprint Examiner & Classification Specialist
- Fire Inspector/Investigator
- Forensic Science Specialist
- Juvenile Assessment Worker
- Latent Print Examiner/Trainee
- Property and Evidence Personnel
SPECIAL ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS:
1. Complete SPC application.
2. Take SPC placement test and take any remedial courses as student needs to be at college level writing and reading skills.
3. Attend an advising session with program director or faculty member.
SPECIAL GRADUATION REQUIREMENTS:
1. A grade of "C" or better in all designated specialty courses in this program.
2. Completion of an End-of-Program Assessment Examination.
3. Online students are required to attend a Lab Technique Review Session during their graduating term.
4. A grade of "I" will be assigned to a currently enrolled CJT course until the End of Assessment Exam and any required Lab Technique Review Session is completed.
MAJOR CORE COURSES
* Courses CJL 2610 and CJE 2671 should be taken during the student's last semester.
Continue your education at spc
Our Crime Scene Technology Certificate is part of our Associate in Science Degree in Crime Scene Technology, which transfers to our bachelor's degree in Public Safety Administration.
PUBLIC SAFETY ADVANCED TRAINING
If you're looking for training as a current public safety professional or need to meet your mandatory training requirements, SPC offers a wide range of options.