Who is eligible for the exemption?
In order to qualify for a fee exemption as a result of homelessness, the student must meet the criteria outlined in Florida Statute 1009.25(1)(f): A student who lacks a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence or whose primary nighttime residence is a public or private shelter designed to provide temporary residence, a public or private transitional living program, or a public or private place not designated for, or ordinarily used as, a regular sleeping accomodation for human beings.
NOTE: SPC Defines temporary as 12 months or less.
What does the exemption cover?
Tuition and Access Fees. It does not cover lab fees, books or supplies.
How often do I need to apply and what is the deadline?
- You must apply each term.
- Applications are available beginning on April 26, 2021 for fall 2021.
- The due date is July 14, 2021 for fall 2021.
What do I do first?
Complete the SPC Admissions process. Make sure you have an SPC ID number and have completed any required testing.
If this is your first term at SPC, SPC will waive the Application Fee upon approval of the Certification of Homelessness.
If the Homeless Fee Exemption is not approved, you will owe the Application Fee to SPC if you begin classes.
What is the process?
- Complete the What do I do first? section above.
- Enroll in classes
- Select this link: Certification of Homelessness.
- Enter your name and email address.
- Enter the name and mail address of the agency or person who is assisting you.
- You will receive an email with a link to the Certification of Homelessness form.
- Complete the STUDENT SECTION and select "Submit."
- The form will be routed to your agency or to the person who is assisting you for completion of the CERTIFICATION SECTION.
- Contact the agency or person assisting you to let them know to check their email inbox for the notification.
- Once the form is completed by the agency or the person assisting you, it will route to SPC for review.
- Complete the Homeless Fee Exemption Enrollment Form. This will allow SPC to place the waiver on your student account if it is approved.
- If you change your enrollment, complete the Homeless Fee Exemption Enrollment form AGAIN. This will keep you from owing funds back to SPC.
- Begin the process of obtaining your Florida ID if you do not have one already. This will help you establish Florida residency for tuition and fees purposes for future terms of enrollment.
What if I withdraw?
If you fully withdraw from ALL classes in any term in which the Homeless Fee Exemption is used you are not eligible for future Homeless Fee Exemptions.
Are there any other recommendations?
It is highly recommended that you do the following:
- Sign and submit a Release of Confidential Information from Student Record (select either year and go to the Miscellaneous section). This will allow your agency representative to obtain information specific to your student account.
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This will determine if you are eligible for additional funding.
- If you are applying for student loans, contact a Financial Aid Counselor who will provide loan counseling. This will allow you to understand your rights and responsibilities as a student loan borrower.
What if I have questions?
Contact Sandy Albright at 727-302-6516 or firstname.lastname@example.org.