• Who is eligible for the exemption?

    In order to qualify for a fee exemption as a result of homelessness, the student must meet the criteria outlined in Florida Statute 1009.25(1)(f):  A student who lacks a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence or whose primary nighttime residence is a public or private shelter designed to provide temporary residence, a public or private transitional living program, or a public or private place not designed for, or ordinarily used as, a regular sleeping accommodation for human beings.

    NOTE: SPC Defines temporary as 12 months or less.

    How often do I need to apply?

    You must apply for the Homeless Fee Exemption each term.

    What dates are important for me to know?

    Homeless Fee Exemption Dates – Summer 2022

    Date Details

    March 23, 2022

    Homeless Fee Exemption opens

    April 13, 2022 Homeless Fee Exemption deadline

    What do I do first?

    Complete the SPC Admissions process. Make sure you have an SPC ID number and have completed any required testing.

    If this is your first term at SPC, SPC will waive the Application Fee upon approval of the Certification of Homelessness.

    If the Homeless Fee Exemption is not approved and you begin classes, you will owe the Application Fee to SPC.

    What about Florida residency?

    Florida residency is waived for any term in which the Homeless Fee Exemption is approved.

    What does the Homeless Fee Exemption cover?

    The Homeless Fee Exemption covers in-state tuition, Access Fees and lab fees. It does not cover books or supplies.

    If you are taking any classes as a third (or more) attempt, the Homeless Fee Exemption will only cover the in-state portion of tuition.

    What is the process?

    1. Complete the What do I do first? section above.
    2. Enroll in classes
    3. Select this link:  Certification of Homelessness.
      • Select Continue at the bottom of the screen.
      • Read and complete the STUDENT SECTION.
      • Enter your name to sign the document. Make sure the name at the top of the form and the signature at the bottom are exactly the same.
      • Select Apply and then select Click to Sign.
      • Enter the name and email address of the agency or person who is assisting you. Select Next.
      • Enter your SPC student email and select Click to Sign.
      • You will receive an email with a link to the Certification of Homelessness form. Select Confirm my email address.
      • You will get the following message – “You have already verified this signature.”
      • You have completed your portion of the form.
    4. The form will be routed to your agency or to the person who is assisting you for completion of the CERTIFICATION SECTION.
      • Contact the agency or person assisting you to let them know to check their email inbox for the notification.
      • Once the form is completed by the agency or the person assisting you, it will route to SPC for review.
      • SPC will contact the agency or person assisting you to verify your homeless status.

    How do I let SPC know that I am enrolled?

    Complete the Homeless Fee Exemption Enrollment survey to notify SPC of your enrollment.

    What if I change my enrollment?

    If you change your enrollment, complete the Homeless Fee Exemption Enrollment survey AGAIN. This will keep you from owing funds back to SPC.

    What is the timeframe?

    Verification of homelessness is completed within 30 days of the first date of classes.  Funds will be posted within up to 10 business days after Verification of homelessness AND the Homeless Fee Exemption Enrollment survey are both complete.

    How will I know the status?

    Notifications are sent to your SPC student email address.

    Are there any other recommendations?

    It is highly recommended that you do the following:

    1. Submit a Release of Confidential Information from Student Record. This will allow your agency representative to obtain information specific to your student account.
    2. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This will determine if you are eligible for additional funding.
    3. If you are applying for student loans, contact a Financial Aid Counselor so you can understand your rights and responsibilities as a student loan borrower.
    4. Begin the process of establishing Florida residency by obtaining your Florida ID.

    What if I have questions?

    Contact Dr. Althea Blake at 727-614-7002 or blake.althea@spcollege.edu.

    Related Resources: