The departments of Campuswide Security and Emergency Management work together to ensure the safety and effective response to emergencies on all SPC locations.
SPC security supports the educational mission of the college by maintaining a safe environment that enhances the quality of life for all members of the college community. We strive to provide a safe place for students, staff and faculty can learn, work and grow. Services include:
- Crime prevention and response
- Traffic/parking enforcement
- Safety and security inspections
- Safety escorts
- Crowd safety for special events
College security maintains a close liaison with local, state and federal law enforcement agencies in implementing and coordinating campus security operations.
SPC employs about 40 officers that are licensed in the State of Florida with a class "D" security license. Officers are supervised by three senior security supervisors, each of whom oversees three college campuses. Sites are routinely patrolled and served by some 20 security officers assigned to the college campuses. Contract security officers are utilized to supplement security services at some sites. All officers are trained and licensed under the State of Florida Statutes Chapter 493 and receive in-service training in the following areas.
- College policies and procedures
- Legal Issues in college security
- Incident de-escalation and incident control
- Interview and communication techniques
- Report writing
- Emergency response including NIMS, ICS and other certified state and federal courses
- Blood-borne pathogens
- Emergency evacuations
JURISDICTION, STRUCTURE AND AUTHORITY
Each campus or center has security officers to help provide a safe environment and most sites have a security office. Licensed and trained security officers patrol the campus grounds and parking lots during the hours that the campuses are open to students and staff. College security officers are not certified police officers, but they work closely with local authorities. The officers provide an important service to our campuses through active patrol, observation and intervention. Senior security supervisors and senior officers perform security assessments and inspections, conduct interviews, complete incident reports and notify the local police authority when necessary.
For more information contact:
Director of Security, Risk Management and Safety Services
SPC's Emergency Management Department coordinates a comprehensive approach to emergency preparedness and response as recommended by the Gubernatorial Task Force for Campus Safety. Services include:
- Development and coordination of college-wide Emergency Management Plan
- Development and training for Incident Command System
- Coordination and testing of SPC Alert system
- Maintains Emergency Preparedness website
For more information, contact:
Director of Emergency Management