Learn more about what qualifies you as a Florida resident for tuition purposes.

A Florida resident for tuition purposes is a person, or a dependent person whose parent or legal guardian has established and maintained legal residency in Florida at least 12 months before the first day of the term. To qualify, you must be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident alien, or a legal alien granted indefinite stay by the Immigration and Naturalization Service.

Florida residency for tuition purposes is different from establishing Florida residency. Your residence in Florida must be for establishing a permanent home and not incidental to college enrollment. Living in or attending school in Florida will not, in itself, establish legal residence for tuition purposes. Students who depend on out-of-state parents for support are presumed to be legal residents of the same state as their parents.

NOTE: If you don’t meet the 12-month legal residency requirement, you may be able to qualify for residency by meeting one of the statutory exceptions or you may eligible to have the out-of-state portion of your tuition waived.

Learn more about out-of-state tuition waivers.

If one of the statutory exceptions below describes you, you qualify as a resident for tuition purposes without having to prove physical residency in Florida for the last 12 months. It does not matter if you are dependent or independent if you are claiming a statutory exception. Please complete a Residency Affidavit and required documents as outlined below before the first day of classes.

Statutory exceptions
Statutory Exception  Residency Affidavit  Required Documents 
I am a qualified beneficiary under the terms of the Florida Pre-paid program. Yes Pre-paid Benefit Card
Another Florida public college or university has declared me as a resident for tuition purposes within the last 12 months. Yes Transcript indicating you were coded as RES and attendance at that institution within last 12 months.
I am married to a person who has maintained legal residence in Florida for at least 12 months. I have established legal residence and intend to make Florida my permanent home. Yes (completed by spouse) Marriage certificate (two documents from spouse, one document from student* (does not have to be 12 months).
I am a full-time employee of a Florida public school, community college or institution of higher education, or I am the employee’s spouse or dependent child. Yes (completed by student) Letter from the school verifying employment of the employee.
I am a full-time employee of a state agency or political subdivision of the state whose student fees are paid by the state agency or political subdivision, for the purpose of job-related law enforcement or corrections training. Yes Letter from corrections agency verifying employment and that fees are to be paid for the employee.
I am a member of the armed services of the United States or National Guard stationed in Florida on active duty pursuant to military orders, or whose home of record is Florida, or I am a member’s spouse or dependent child. Yes Active duty orders, Form #DD2058, showing home of record and document that proves relationship to student.
Other: There are other, more obscure exceptions that may pertain to you. For a complete list, refer to Florida Statute 1009.21