Health Sciences A.S. Degree Prepares you for a health care career
Our Health Sciences Associate in Science Degree and embedded certificate in Health Care Services prepare you to work in the non-clinical health care field. Students learn about the basic management and administrative side of health care. The Health Sciences A.S. Degree transfers to our Bachelor of Applied Science Degree in Health Services Administration.
If you do not have an A.A. degree and are preparing for work in a clinical setting, SPC's Health Sciences A.A. Transfer Plan may be for you.
This academic program prepares you for the following careers. All job data is provided by the U.S. Department of Labor.
Medical Secretaries and Administrative Assistants
Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL Metro Area Average
Projected employment for Florida
Projected Job Openings
What you learn in SPC's Health Sciences Associate in Science Degree
- Basic knowledge of health care delivery, medical language, anatomy and physiology, disease process and pharmacology within a health care organization
- Administrative functions required of an entry-level health services manager, including the management of medical supplies, departmental budgets, IT and reimbursement systems
- How to comply with legal and governmental requirements related to health services management
- How to implement appropriate management strategies as an entry-level professional to effectively lead a safe and ethically responsible health care team.
Health Sciences: General Health Sciences Focus Associate in Science
Effective Beginning Catalog Term: Fall 2022 (610)
The requirements shown below are valid beginning Fall 2022 (610), and may not reflect degree requirements for current students. Current students should visit My SPC and view My Learning Plan to see specific degree requirements for their effective term.
This program is offered as a Fully Online program.
The following program of study lists the requirements to receive an Associate of Science degree in Health Sciences. Students who graduate from this program are prepared for entry level positions in healthcare services. Students who wish to continue their education after completing their Associate of Science degree can articulate into the Health Services Administration Bachelor of Science Program at SPC.
A minimum grade of "C" is required in all courses.
2 Completion of this course satisfies the Computer Competency General Education requirement for an AS degree. Equivalent courses (i.e. Honors, IDS) may also be an option.
3 Completion of this course satisfies the Ethics General Education requirement for an AS degree. Equivalent courses (i.e. Honors, IDS) may also be an option.
- the recommended order in which to take the program courses
- suggested course when more than one option exists
- which semester each course is typically offered
- if the course has a prerequisite
- courses that may lead to a certificate (if offered in the program)
VIEW THE RECOMMENDED ACADEMIC PATHWAY
If you have already started the program,
VIEW THE ARCHIVED ACADEMIC PATHWAYS
Please verify the Academic Pathway lists your correct starting semester.
Florida CIP Code
1351070101: Health/Health Care Administration ()
Federal CIP Code
51.0701: Health/Health Care Administration/Management.
Continue your education at SPC
SPC's Health Care Services Certificate is part of and transfers to our Health Sciences Associate of Science Degree. The A.S. degree transfers to our Bachelor of Applied Science in Health Services Administration.
HEALTH CONTINUING EDUCATION
We also offer health continuing education through the Workforce Institute.